My DNA Journey – Lauren Lonergan

by | Jul 30, 2021 | History, Keepsake

I have always been interested in family history and after watching ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ and ‘Ant and Dec’s DNA Journey’ I wanted to learn where my ancestors came from. So, for my birthday this year, my parents bought me a MyHistory DNA Kit. I was so excited as I had talked about it for years.

My family comes from Ireland and I had a feeling that I could possibly have some Scandinavian in me as the Vikings are known to have settled in Ireland. I was feeling anticipation for the results.

I received my DNA results 5 weeks after sending them to the lab. 95.1% of my DNA comes from Ireland, but the other 4.9% came as a bit of a surprise as I have DNA from the Baltic (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania). I was definitely not expecting that! It’s amazing to think that that particular DNA has managed, through centuries worth of generations, to be passed down to me. 

The experience has been amazing and an eye opener. I am eager to learn more about my heritage and I would encourage anyone who is interested in learning about their heritage and ethnicity to look into taking this test. The results will surprise you!

Would you like to contribute to the next edition of Keepsake?

We welcome your suggestions and contributions for the magazine so please email us at team@theshoebox.org.uk or write to:
The Shoebox, 21-23 Castle Meadow, Norwich, NR1 3DH.

Hub and Office Opening Times

Mon - Fri
10am - 5pm
Sat - Sun
CLOSED

01603 850309

21-23 Castle Meadow, Norwich, Norfolk  NR1 3DH
To keep up to date on our news, offers and events sign up to our newsletter.

Copyright © The Shoebox 2021.